Emphatic: American Painting from the CollectionCompleted
2/28/2019 - 5/12/2019
Organizing institution: Krannert Art Museum and Kinkead Pavilion
Primary Curator: Amy Powell
Through composition, subject matter, and paint application—along with such tools as an implied grid, arresting color, and brushwork— artists in the second half of the twentieth century engaged profoundly with the materiality of paint and its potential to convey both grandeur and intimacy. Drawn from KAM’s collection, this exhibition features works that offer resolute statements on the physical and emotional significance of painting. Their emphatic tones resonate despite—or because of—the artists’ great ambivalence towards the representability of history, violence, and desire. Emphatic is a preview of Art Since 1948, an upcoming reinstallation of KAM’s modern and contemporary art collection opening in August 2019.
- Krannert Art Museum 2/28/2019 - 5/12/2019
- Annette Lemieux (Norfolk, VA, USA, 1957 - )
- David Park (Boston, MA, USA, 1911 - 1960, Berkley, CA, USA)
- Hedda Sterne (Bucharest, Romania, 1910 - 2011, Manhattan, NY, USA)
- Leon Golub (Chicago, IL, USA, 1922 - 2004, New York, NY, USA)
- Louise Fishman (Philadelphia, PA, USA, 1939 - )
- Mark Rothko (Daugavpils, Latvia, 1903 - 1970, New York, NY, USA)
- Purvis Young (Miami, FL, USA, 1943 - 2010, Miami, FL, USA)
- Robert Indiana (New Castle, IN, USA, 1928 - 2018, Vinalhaven, ME, USA)
- Sue Coe (Tamworth, England, UK, 1951 - )
Your current search criteria is: All Exhibitions.